Tuesday, September 21, 2010

letter to parents

Let me introduce you to my daughter, Mary.
Mary is a student in your child’s class.  She has been sharing information about herself with the children via her DynaVox.  Her Dynavox is her augmentative communication device – it is a computer that can talk when she activates it with a switch.  She is learning to communicate that way because she was born with Arthrogryposis and cannot use the muscles in her mouth very well.  Because Mary’s mouth muscles don’t work very well, she has a tube in her neck for breathing.  It is called a tracheostomy – we call it a trach (pronounced trake.)  Sometimes Mary needs secretions suctioned out of her trach.  It doesn’t hurt her and it isn’t messy when she needs this.  She has a nurse with her all the time and her nurse uses the suction machine to help Mary.   She also uses a wheelchair because her joints and muscles in her legs don’t work the same as most people.  Mary’s wheelchair is purple, one of her favorite colors!  Some of the other things she likes are horses, Dora, swimming, playing outside, and reading. 
If you have questions or concerns about Mary’s condition or friendship with your child, please feel free to call me.
Chaney, Mary's mom

This is the letter I wrote tonight for Mary's teacher to give her classmates' parents.  I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

What a great idea. I do something similar at the beginning of each school year. I go in and talk to Jackson's classmates about his rare chromosome syndrome. I talk about how we are all a little different but it doesn't make one better than another. I talk about some of the things he might do during the day (ticks), or why he doesn't like to talk (communication disorder). So far it has been a positive thing for Jackson and for our family. I hope your letter goes over well and that the other children welcome her with open arms! Here's to a great school year!

Katherine said...

That is awesome! Other people's understanding and acceptance needs to start with us. The more we explain and educate the more understanding and accepting they can feel. I hope this school year goes well for you and Mary.

Luke and Erin said...

Awesome! Not always an easy thing to do, but an important thing! I hope she does great in class this year!

Melissa said...

That was a great idea!! I think the letter was absolutely perfect. Have you had an feedback yet?