Thursday, August 21, 2008

WELCOME!

Hi, let me introduce myself. I am 'tiptoe mama'. I chose the name mostly because it goes along with the whole "tulip theme", but also because my little ones keep me on my tip toes!

My husband and I have three children. Our Angel, Our Miracle, and Our Blessing. My first daughter was born at 24 weeks and only lived a few minutes. She is our angel. Our second child, ("A" as I will call him here) was born at 27 weeks and weighed 1 lb 1 oz. He is now six years old and has had no physical or health related problems from his prematurity. He is our Miracle. Our last child ("M.K.") was born at 36 weeks and we thought she had made it here better off than the others. Until we started noticing that she wasn't hitting the milestones most babies should hit. After about a year, and lots of testing, we were told that she has Cerebral Palsy. She is our Blessing. A blessing because she has taught me to appreciate the small things in life; a single word said out loud, sitting up, walking. Those things have been difficult for her, to say the least. And yet, for most of my life I've taken them all for granted. She is three years old, and as I watch her, worrying, and so aware of all that she can't do, and what affect it may have on her life-- she goes through life smiling and anxious to tackle the next challenge. She doesn't worry about "can't". And I realize that it's only me, the strong healthy parent who is limited by that idea. She is my blessing. Because of her I see the world through different eyes.

As a special needs parent, I recognize that I'm a little bit different than 'regular' moms. While they run to soccer practice and piano lessons, I'm running to therapists and doctors appointments. It's a different world, full of heartache at times, a lot of worry, a lot of work, but it's a beautiful, and fulfilling world as well. I'm sure other special needs parents can truly understand what I mean by that.

I have a great family and wonderful friends who are supportive and understanding. But there's something to be said for the support of someone who can relate first hand. That's why I decided to start this blog. Because special needs parents have special needs too, and sometimes I think we just need each other. The idea behind this blog is to have a place where we as parents and caregivers of special needs kids can share some of our thoughts, feelings and experiences with each other whether happy or sad. A place to make and build friendships. A place to support and be supported.

Thank you for taking the time to check out our little site. I hope you'll come back often and feel free to participate in what ever way you are comfortable with. You can be a regular contributor by e-mailing me at tiptoemama@gmail.com, or be a guest poster the same way. You can simply read the blog and make comments on the posts, and you are always welcome to 'lurk' and read silently without ever making yourself known. Thanks for looking, and spread the word!

Regular contributors will have an illustration made to be posted in the side bar, and can choose to use their real name, or a pseudo name.

4 comments:

Kristyn said...

Great idea! I came across your blog from a flyer in a copy shop today, and I had to check it out. I am a mother of a four year old son with autism. He was also born premature, at 32 weeks. We've been vacationing in Holland now for almost a year and a half...and you know what---Holland really is beautiful! That poem is an inspiration to me, so I'm glad you used it as your theme! Count me in to help out however I can!

Kate Carter said...

Hi Tiptoe Mama,

It's Kate here from CordBank New Zealand.

I saw your post and thought I might be able to help.

Firstly there is a really good, impartial website that was set up Frances Verter called http://www.parentsguidecordblood.org/
This is an excellent source of information on the uses of cord blood and medical developments.

Secondly, on our website, www.cordbank.co.nz there are also a number of video clips that might be of interest under Latest News. Last year, a little New Zealand girl, Maia Friedlander, was treated for a birth-related brain injury which resulted in Cerebral Palsy-type symptoms with her own cord blood at Duke University. She has made great progress and you can view her story at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4h36hNjdik

I hope this is helpful and if I can assist with any queries, please do not to drop me a line at kate@cordbank.co.nz

With best wishes

Kate

Manish Batra said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Chair For Cerebral Palsy Child

Keep Posting:)

Manish Batra said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Recliner Wheelchair Sale

Keep Posting:)