Monday, May 30, 2011

A whirlwind of emotions and triumphs

First, thank you to all who share your stories, it helps to know that we aren't alone. After finding out our son was diagnosed with pdd-nos earlier in the year, we then had him re-diagnosed and they concluded he was autistic. We met with a doctor from a practice called Intercept who diagnosed him autistic and they recommended we start him on Risperidone. So we started him with .25ml and we saw a major improvement the next day. We continued with the medication and bumped it up to 1.0ml. It has made a huge difference! He is more responsive, he has much better eye contact, he is not so clingy and he is saying more words.

We've been on it for two months and he is now maintaining this level and so we are curious what to do next. He will repeat words but does not know how to use them. He can barely put two words or even two syllables together. He also has figured out that we are giving him medicine through ice cream or his soy milk and now he is refusing to eat or drink and consequently is starting to revert. We've been reading a lot about the connection of vaccines to autism. We've read the Jenny McCarthy book and are pretty much convinced that something in the vaccine triggered autism in my son. My other son who is 20 months is also following the same path.

I'm sure you understand our grief and when I say our hearts aches, you understand what we are going through. Has anyone looked into alternative treatments? Does anybody believe that there is a connection to vaccines and autism. My son that is 20 months will soon have his 2 year check up and we do not want to get him vaccinated.

Thanks for listening.
Jake and Melyssa
www.lifewithpdd-nos.com

5 comments:

Jessica Marie said...

I believe that Jenny obtained most of her information regarding the link between Autism and vaccines from a study by Dr. Andrew Wakefield, which was published in 1998. Here is an article from January 2011 from CNN (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/05/autism.vaccines/?hpt=T1).

His paper has been discredited but I don't know if there has been proof one way or another. On unfortunate affect of his study is that many more children have contracted diseases that are prevented by vaccines, namely measles and mumps.

Wildthreeplus2 said...

Thank you for that article. I have read it and will probably re-read it again with my wife.

Jessica said...

I was using my phone to read blogs tonight as I was trying to fall asleep, then I read this post got super excited, ran into the living room to charge up the laptop to share this with you:

I too have a child on the spectrum along with other medical problems. I do indeed use many "strange" ways to help my son. However I am not a believer that Autism is caused by vaccinations because my child is not vaccinated. I am married to person who has Aspergers and I have found that alot of people who have ASD have persons in their family who have traits of Autism. But enough about that...
I wanted to share some things we have found. I take my son to an LDS healer. this man is amazing! We also are big on essential oils, vitamin D and a "clean"diet. We are having a behavioral therapist work with our son in June, due to some newer issues. I have found that deep tissue massage is fab and am thinking about taking him to a chiropractor. I have thought about medicating him for his Autism but it scares the crap out of me. Most days I have mini break downs, and am learning to love my treadmil, for I find peace there oddly enough. My little J goes to Pingree where they work hard with him. He also is in 4 different therapies. I am always hopeful that today will be the day that everything changes and I have my "normal" child. Today was not that day, so tonight we celebrate our handful of corkyness!
Where do you live? I am a part of an amazing group for moms with special needs kids, but it seems like most of the parents have children on the spectrum... I am in SlC

Wildthreeplus2 said...

Hi Jessica, we are in NSL. We would love to chat. Email us at jakeandmelyssa@gmail.com and send us your phone number and let us know when you are available. Cohen was recently accepted to Pingree and we would love to talk about that too.

ks said...

Just wanted to pipe up and say that I don't believe that vaccinations cause autism. The author of the original article- yes, it was discredited- but eventually, the author admitted that he lied and made up the data, so he retracted his study. Sadly, the damage was already done and many people today still fear vaccines for the same reason.

Its my opinion that kids change so quickly during the first three years of life, that its difficult to decifer when exactly traits start to become noticeable. Talking is a huge milestone and it isn't considered "late" until 18-24 mos... and then we of course start to worry......