Saturday, October 30, 2010

Gratitude

"If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes it's place among the noblest of virtues." Thomas S. Monson


People generally seem to think that special needs moms are some kind of super moms. Not true. By any standard - I am a mess! :) I came across a fun new website recently though, and read a great little article. I've already had gratitude on my mind after hearing President Monson's talk on it in General Conference. But reading about it again in this article really inspired me. I've been trying to be grateful lately, and I've learned two things:

  1. Sometimes it can be REALLY hard to be grateful.
  2. Being grateful feels WONDERFUL!
I wanted to share with you something I am grateful for. I sat in MK's dance class thinking what a great thing it is for her and all the sweet little girls in the class to be able to dance! Who would have ever thought that girls in walkers and wheelchairs could dance?! Just the idea of it puts a lump in my throat! And a mom next to me told me all about her experience with Shriner's hospital and all the great things her daughter (who has CP) has been able to enjoy because of them (like skiing, and riding a bike!) Then, I saw in the newspaper that there's a karate class in Roy for special needs kids. And I became overwhelmed thinking of all the great resources and opportunities there are for our 'special' kids. What an amazing thing that there are so many people out there who have cared enough, and thought enough about our kids to go out of their way just to make it possible for them to experience all these great things!!! We are so blessed!

November is just around the corner, which means we will be doing a tradition that we got from my sister just a couple of years ago. All during the month of November, we hang up a "Thankful Poster." Everyday, each of us write down at least one thing that we are thankful for. On Thanksgiving, we take down the poster and read it at the dinner table. It is so fun to see all the things we have to be grateful for. There are so many!!! I wanted to share this idea with you because it has been such a good thing for our family. I thought you might like to try it.

One last thing I am grateful for: All of you! Thanks for being here and giving me a place to fit in with my special needs.
Tiptoe Mama

p.s. to you new moms whose pictures haven't been posted in the sidebar yet, please forgive me! Like I said, I am a mess! I'm working on them and will get them up ASAP

1 comment:

Manish Batra said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Karman S-Ergo 115

Keep Posting:)