Friday, January 1, 2010

Good News!

Just wanted to make the big announcement here: I had my baby! We actually made it to 37 1/2 weeks this time! She is our heavy weight coming in at 6lbs 3 oz. and 18 inches long. She came via c-section on Dec 13.

We had a magnesium sulfate treatment before hand which is supposed to help to prevent cerebral palsy. It's a 12 hour IV treatment that is usually only done in cases of extreme prematurity. But, the doctor said even though it might only help our situation by only a small percentage if at all, the insurance would still pay for it, so we decided to go ahead and do it anyway. It can make you really sick I guess. But it just gave me some major hot flashes and made me very sleepy.

Our new little one has had a major bout with jaundice. (Who on this blog has NOT had to deal with jaundice?) She has been on the lights twice now. When we take her off, her levels go back up again. We've been grateful to have her at home with it all though. Especially at Christmas time. The doctor took her off the lights again yesterday and said we could send the lights back. But I'm holding onto them for another day or two just to be sure. :)

It would seem that with a 24 weeker turned "angel", a 26 weeker turned "miracle" and a 36 weeker turned "CP blessing" under my belt that a little jaundice would be nothing. To the contrary. I think it's all turned me into a paranoid mother. I'm not used to things 'going well'. This jaundice thing that just won't seem to go away has been draining emotionally, and the regular ups and downs of a newborn have exhausted me physically. One day ..... I'll sleep again. In the meantime, I'm hanging in there. And grateful grateful grateful for my little family and the blessings of all our adventures. Hope you all have had wonderful holidays!

4 comments:

Lori said...

congratulations!!!! that's wonderful. good luck with the jaundice. hopefully it clears up soon.

Jessica said...

Woohooo! Congratulations! That is a great weight! Sorry to hear about the jaundice, not fun! I hope you are enjoying time with your sweet baby. I hope you can post a picture real soon.

Melissa said...

Congrats! She is adorable... I have seen the pictures on your family blog. I hate jaundice too. It is what my middle son spent 8 days in the NICU and what kept Josh from coming home sooner. That darn jaundice. I had three kids and all three had it. What's the chance?? LOL! I hope you get some sleep sometime too!

Katie said...

HOORAY!! I am so happy for you. Jaundice is annoying. I envy your courage. The thought of having another child is frightening to me even though there is no reason a second child would have problems. I hope you can truly enjoy the miracle that your new baby is. Congratulations!