Thursday, February 3, 2011

JT and me, the last little while

Life is crazy nowadays. Going to school, applying for the OT program at U of U, keeping up the house, trying to keep JT going in the right direction with therapy etc. But things are going pretty well.

JT is as fun as ever. He may not be able to speak but he has learned how to have a conversation anyway. One day my husband was watching Top Gear America (car show, we like the UK version better though) and JT kept up this generalized whine. I asked him to stop whining and tell me what was wrong. He pointed to the TV then made a disgusted face and shook his head. My husband and I couldn't stop laughing. He will find any way to get his point across.

It was lunch time and JT got out the cereal. I told him no and put it back. He took it out, I put it up higher. Then he came back with his PECS book. He had put on "I want cereal" and then at the very end he had added "cookie" too. I guess if you can't get cereal, cookies will do too.

We are moving into a lot of fun new stuff. We are having someone meet him to hopefully help us find something to help him communicate with the world. He goes in for his first IQ test on Monday. (I think I am actually ready. I hope I can take the numbers and if they are high, be happy, and if they are low, say, "I don't believe it, my son is smart no matter what you say") He is starting supplementary speech therapy this week. So we are busy but it is a good thing.

In good news, the doctors have decided that JT will be able to have 2 years between MRIs now. Also, he only has to see his Rehab therapist every 6 months although I am pretty sure this will change because although the Baclofen was working really, well I think he is tightening back up. The dentist says his teeth and gums look good (our first dentist check up, late I know). Amazingly, he still has his front teeth (he kept falling this year and smashing them in) but if he doesn't loose at least one in the next month I will drop dead of surprise.

This semester in BioMed we have spent the last month on the brain. After learning, in detail, about everything the brain does and what different parts of the cerebral cortex do I feel like getting on top of a building and shouting, "MY SON IS AMAZING! YOU PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA!! HE IS A MIRACLE!!" There is no way he should be doing everything he is doing. Even if he never speaks, he is a miracle. How is he able to do anything? He is missing more than half of his brain!! This shouldn't be possible. He is so funny, he is so creative in getting what he wants and communicating, he can walk, he has some fine motor skills, he understands when I talk to him, who could ask for anything more?

So all in all, we are doing really well. I need to write more. I hope you all are doing well!

1 comment:

tiptoe mama said...

I'm so excited to hear about JT's communication. Isn't it the greatest thing in the world just to be able to communicate with your child?
I'm also cheering for you in school. I'm back in school now too, and with kids - it is SO HARD! Hang in there. It sounds like you are doing great, and I know you'll make a great OT. Good luck getting into the program!