Friday, April 9, 2010

Tanner's Been Diagnosed

We met with the program director at NUAP (Northern Utah Autism Program) yesterday along with the child psychiatrist, Dr. Karen Christiansen. After meeting with them and them observing Tanner, they've pretty much diagnosed Tanner to have PDD-NOS, just like we thought. Dr. Christiansen said he can also be considered Highly Functioning Autistic and that he has some Asperger's characteristics. As he continues to get more language, he will probably show those traits more and more, but he will never be considered as having Asperger's just because one of the criteria for that is that there is no language delay, and that's one of Tanner's greatest struggles.

You can read my husband's post about it here.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing...the finality of having a diagnosis. Not that it changes anything, really. Oh well, I'm sure that as things sink in a little more I'll be better able to process everything.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

It's so nice to at least have a diagnosis though. I loved Dr. Christiansen.... she is again working with my son, who is now 8 years old. I loved the NUAP... they only reason my son is doing as well as he is was becuase of the program. Let me know if you have any questions... we have been down this road.

Luke and Erin said...

I think I would feel the same way, nothing really changes, but just knowing sometimes feels like half the battle!